Do you know how to enjoy life’s simple pleasures? For some, it’s easy. It’s how they live. For others, it’s next to impossible.
Searching in vain for something to make us happy is enough to drive anyone a little crazy – not in the clinical sense but more in running around in circles.
Yet, we need to find effective ways to deal with everyday stresses and overcome the sameness of routine. Here’s a novel idea: Take the time to enjoy life’s simple pleasures.
“If someone asked me what my idea of luxury is, I think my answer would be: flowers in the house all year around.”Mary Sarton
Life’s Simple Pleasures – Start with Simplicity
With life’s simple pleasures, think about simplicity first. What could be easier than taking a brief break and closing your eyes, engaging in nothing more than listening to the silence of your thoughts?
But, how do you do that?
If what’s going on in your brain a whirlwind of competing thoughts, acknowledge the chaos. Slowly let it begin to subside. Concentrate on your breathing, in and out, in and out, all the while reaffirming that life is precious and good. How simple is that?
When most people think of life’s simple pleasures – if they take a moment to do this – they may have trouble coming up with a list that doesn’t include the big three: money, possessions, and scads of friends.
Of these three, only having friends truly counts as a simple pleasure. The others are accumulations of material things – certainly not conducive to overall happiness. Of course, many other items may pop into the front of your mind as a simple pleasure that isn’t, but you get the point.
Suggestions on Life’s Simple Pleasures and How to Enjoy Them
Now, let’s get back to life’s simple pleasures. What are some of these, and how do we overcome our reluctance to appreciate and enjoy them? What steps can we take to enjoy life’s little pleasures?
If it gives you joy, it’s one of life’s simple pleasures, period.
- Smell the fragrance of flowers on a morning walk. That’s a simple pleasure.
- Savor the taste of a delicious meal. That’s a simple pleasure.
- Delight in the laughter of your young child or the sound of your friends laughing with you. Another simple pleasure.
- Reflect on the wonder of the velvety touch of a rose petal, the silky softness of a kitten’s fur, and the delicious caress of your loved one – all examples of life’s simple pleasures.
Stripped of the constant need to acquire and accumulate, with nothing more than the here and now and a focus on life at the moment, life’s simple pleasures will be easier to recognize and appreciate.
Suggestions: How to Enjoy Simple Pleasures
As to how to begin to enjoy life’s simple pleasures, try these suggestions:
- Make time each day to do something you enjoy. It doesn’t have to be a long time. Just 15 minutes is a good start. Read a chapter of a new book by a favorite author. Go for a walk outside. Talk with a friend. Work on a hobby. This isn’t too hard to figure out.
- Think of this as a treat. Engaging in some well-deserved and much-needed me-time is critically essential. It allows you to rejuvenate and regain your sense of well-being, to take a break from the non-stop daily pressures and schedules. Everyone likes a treat. Why not give yourself one?
- Need help about life’s simple pleasures? Craft a list. Put on the spot to think about a simple pleasure? Do yourself a favor and write a few down as they come to you. That way, you’ll have several choices when you stop and enjoy one.
- Remember that enjoying life’s simple pleasures helps you enjoy living. After all, we’re only here for a relatively short time. Make the most of each moment and enjoy every minute of each simple pleasure.